Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dedicated to the Turkish Men

Oh my! Dear mister brown eyes, how is that in the few seconds of our brief exchange have you already fallen in love with me? You have not even begun to understand my complexities, or barely examine the many chambers of my heart, or become fond of my quiet passing of gas in our night’s embrace.

Okay, that was some humor… but not far from the truth. In the first few hours of our arrival in Turkey, the girls and I all came to a conclusion that Turkish men are aggressive! Seriously, they are not shy about getting our attention and striking up a conversation. Some even have the bold spirit of inviting us to dance in public and hinting to marital bliss if we should choose. “Let me tell you how I feel” said one man. As we are adorned with flattery, I wonder can I truly be that cute in my bland travel gear or is it simply the culture??? Can falling in love really be that easy and instantaneous? If it is, I must be going at it all wrong!!! :D

As we continued on our trip, I have to at least give Turkish men a fair shake. Not all of them are aggressive. Some are very kind. Some offer help with no expectations of return. Some add humor to their expressions, “I love you more than my breakfast!” Some share their honest insight into Turkish culture and true friendship; yes I am talking about you Dunya - if you are reading this.

So I wonder… could this simply be romance? Are they true and pure in their intentions? It’s possible, I think. We met Burcin. He was really sweet and respected boundaries. He ordered us dessert and asked us about our lives. As we bid farewell with Turkish kisses, I thought to myself… in one night’s company and conversation over dinner, I can foresee kindness blossom into fondness.

So don’t give up on the Turkish men all together! Just be mindful as you visit Turkey. Think about your actions, even eye contact can invite overzealous proposals from the opposite gender. It will be hard at times because there are some gorgeous men here! But good looking or not, men are men, and then can misread your intentions. So if you come with your western ways of flirting, don’t be surprised if you go home with a few souvenirs and a new husband!

2 comments: